Tesla Forums

Tesla Universe : Community : Forums : Tesla Builders : Tesla Coils & High Voltage : troubleshooting my tesla coil

Author

Topic: troubleshooting my tesla coil(Read 18768 times)

« on: January 19, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »
Good day tesla coilers. I have constructed a small tesla coil powered by a 7500 volt NST, an the capacitor used is a 0.01 mf 15,000 volt rated capacitor. When I switch it on, no spark issues from the spark gap. In all serousness nothin happens at all, all u can hear is the humm of the NST. Im new to coiling, so if u have any helpful advice or suggestions, please feel free to let me know. They would be extremely appriciated

"Overkill is seriously underated"

View Profile

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:56:55 PM »
Anybody?

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »
Hi,

Without seeing your circuit, my best guess is that either there is a circuit or wiring issue, your capacitor or transformer is bad or the spark gap is opened too wide.

My advice would be to first set up a crude Jacob's ladder using some scrap pieces of wire and see if you can get an arc between the secondary outputs of the NST. This will confirm the transformer is good.

If your cap is in series with the spark gap, you can jump it out and see if the gap will fire. If it does, you should close the gap down so close that maybe a single sheet of paper will just slide between the contacts. Then see if it will fire with the cap back in the circuit. If it does not, your cap may be open.

Give these things a try and let us know how it goes.

Later,
Cameron
Cameron B. Prince
Tesla Universe Webmaster

Administrator

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:27:10 AM »
Right after i posted this request for help, I saw a picture of a coil that had the capacitor in parallel an the spark gap in series.It worked...for about 10 seconds, then it went dark.It seemed that a connection on the spark gap burnt out. So I changed it, went ahead an re-wired it with 15,000 volt wire, and i went ahead an tested the transformer on the spark gap, and it worked.The capacitor was reading 10.99nf on my meter.Instead of using the 15000 volt NST, i had used a 12kv NST instead. Does it make a difference if the cpacitor is in series or in parallel? An thank you for replying to this post, appreciate it.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
My preference is to place the capacitor in series with the transformer and primary and have the spark gap in parallel with the transformer. I have seen others use circuits where the cap and spark gap were swapped. As I understand it, this subjects the transformer to more harmful RF and this is not advisable.
Cameron B. Prince
Tesla Universe Webmaster

Administrator

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

View Profile WWW